Tuesday, April 30, 2013

American Psycho

My initial thoughts to this movie (literally, this is what struck me enough to write down while watching the movie):
  • Opening scene a reflection of the grotesque; the act of eating
  • Ketchup comparison to blood. I thought it was blood at first and the fact that I now know it was actually edible food kind of disgusts me. These two things should not be confused--something to ingest and something that is in your body already, running through your veins. GROTESQUE.
  • Literally peeling off his mask. Simultaneously describing how he has no emotions; he is like a hollow shell of a person/an onion with no center, just peeling off layer after layer of lifelessness.
  • Getting a good table at the restaurant seems overly important to him. Very obsessed with appearances and status.
  • Scene in back of taxi: his face is blurred but not his fiance's, once again reinforcing the fact that he is lifeless with no core.
  • There is a disorienting switch from a murder scene (he is murdering a homeless man) to a scene of serenity where he is getting a massage with calm background music. The juxtaposition of these scenes is too much.
  • Nothing is said about the pig his fiance is carrying at the party. Is this normal? Do people routinely carry pigs around? Quite a grotesque choice in a pet.
  • I am unable to comprehend how my peers sitting around me in this classroom are laughing right now. This character is not funny to me and nothing he does amuses me. He simply disgusts me and I feel intense hatred for someone so narcissistic and cruel. It is a bit extreme I guess... This exaggeration could be what is funny? I wish I could stop being disgusted for long enough to feel this amusement.
  • Always comparing himself to the other businessmen around him... Comparing to the point of ridiculousness.
  • Detective is asking him questions about the murder of Paul Allen... Way to be discreet Patrick Bateman... It is not obvious at all that you are the one that killed him. Why don't you act a little more jumpy and evasive?
  • Strange moment when the Dorsia employee he is on the phone with simply laughs maliciously and loudly in his ear. Very exaggerated. Maybe to show how Patrick Bateman inwardly feels whenever he is humiliated in this way?
  • Mergers and acquisitions-->murders and executions
  • Very, very adamant that the secretary put the spoon IN the ice cream carton instead of on the coffee table. More of his obsessive and narcissistic tendencies at work.
  • He controls his urges to kill with the secretary. Does this mean he does not want to be a killer? This is the only indicator I have of this idea because at every other part he seems to have no inhibitions or second thoughts about his sadistic and murderous thoughts or acts. He even explicitly says at the beginning and end of the movie that he basically has no feelings or remorse.

No comments:

Post a Comment